Logo

Lemon 🍋 2014 T9.9 coolant pipe

Resilient

My 2014 9.9 outboard has had the same water pipe burst three times in less than 100 hours. The problem always manifests itself the same way. The engine starts running poorly then becomes difficult to start. What happens is a “water pipe” splits and sprays a mist of saltwater that gets sucked into the carburetor and then eventually clogs the carburetor with salt. This, of course necessitates buying a new water pipe and taking the carburetor apart and cleaning it thoroughly. I also spray everything down under the cowling with salt away take a brush to it then use a fine spray bottle to rinse everything off. Then coat everything with a Yamashield once it dries. This is a time consuming pain in the neck. The water pipe is a rubber hose on the top rear portion of the powerhead. Yamaha calls it a “pipe”. The pipe does not come in to contact with anything. There’s nothing moving that can cut it. It splits in the exact same place right before the 90° bend and has done so three times. The split is not visible when the engine is not running unless you pinch the hose to open the split. To me this seems to be an over pressure problem. The hose seems to be splitting from the inside out. The tell tail stream is very strong, way stronger than on my 2015, Yamaha 300 hp. I am tired of this same problem happening over and over again. Has anyone experienced or heard of this problem before? Any suggestions?

The Model number is: T9.9LPB. Man year 2014 The hose has been replaced 2 times with an Yamaha OEM hose. On the one occasion that it was reinforced/repaired the part was on 6 week backorder. Part number 68T-12481-00. Small "L" shaped hose.
I agree that a higher pressure rated hose would help but finding one in the right size and shape might prove to be diffucukt.

Last edited:
Good news. Part is in stock at Yamaha.
As noted, several ways to skin this cat. Form and bend your own high pressure hose. Buy a 90 degree elbow and attach two short sections of hose. Or get some aluminum tubing and form a 90 degree bend. Then attach two short pieces of hose.

I have a factory replacement hose installed, the third one. I found fiber reinforced heavier hose that may or may not work in place of the factory hose. I am not yet sure if it will bend 90° as needed in the amount of space available. If it does not, I have access to stainless steel tubing that I can have bent into 90° and flare the ends of. I would then make the end connections with rubber hose.
Even though this may work, it irks me to know that this is necessary. Everything on or in my 2 outboard engines is Yamaha. The only thing I can think of that does not come with a factory Yamaha label are the NGK spark plugs.

I still may replace the telltale fitting and drill it out larger to relieve some pressure from the system. If any overheating problems occur due to this, I can just replace it with a standard fitting. Give me a minute

Thank you, everyone for your responses

Last edited:
Back