Logo

mercruiser 4.3 gearbox

i had an issue today with my drive selecting but any more throttle than an idle would just feel like it is slipping, i was able to idle it back to a ramp at only 2 knots, with any more revs it would just spin, Ive got it home and run it and it seems to rev up ok in gear. could this be a coupling issue.

​i did however hit a submerged log or pipe at low speed (5knotts) it did straight away do the slip thing then went into gear and went ok for another 15 minutes then from neutral it would not engage properly (not fully clunk in) and contiue to slip above 2 knotts

Last edited:
Yeh you broke something. Sadly, can't determine what from here but you will want to closely inspect everything

2X on swapping the prop...likely the hub went on the old one...
when the coupler starts slipping, the "stink" is usually quite apparent when you lift the engine hatch...

It could be prop hub or coupler issue . Take the prop off an look. If thats ok look for rubber pieces by coupler on back of engine, pull drive to look at coupler splines and hub.

did it maintain engine temp ok? I assume you have an alpha , if coupler slips vertical drive shaft wont turn and thus impeller isnt spinn8ng and pumping cooling water

Back