Logo

1996 200 efi starting issues

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
I can start it by squirting gas in a cylinder or two and keep it running for a bit by using the push in key for choke modification I did years ago to help with cold starts but it now won’t stay running without having the key pushed in and eventually it will stall. I tried giving it some throttle but that doesn’t do it. Tried different fuel tank and lines. No change. New plugs and filter a few months ago. Any ideas?

Robert

Thanks for the response. I don’t have access to a gauge at the moment. Does what I am describing sound like a fuel pump issue? There are 2 right? I can get it to run for a bit on choke after starting with the gas squirt but it dies when I release the choke. It does keep going longer if I advance the throttle a bit but still dies in a few seconds without choke. If it starts to die I can get it to catch again by adding choke, but eventually it dies even with the choke.

Robert

You not getting fuel...either mechanical pump is not keeping VST full or elecricpump has a problem. Those could be: fuel regulator,TPS,ECU or pump

You not getting fuel...either mechanical pump is not keeping VST full or elecricpump has a problem. Those could be: fuel regulator,TPS,ECU or pump

Thanks. I’m getting my gauge back from my son this weekend so will check pressure but is there something I can do on the meantime to check the pumps? If I unhook the out to the electronic pump and turn the engine over a bit it should shoot fuel out right? Will the mechanical one do the same? I know it’s not blocked because the filter fills up when I pump the ball. Any other trouble shooting ideas?

Robert

So I wasn’t getting any pressure. Or at least I didn’t think so. My son thought the gauge might not be working. Tried it on my car and it looked to be working. Went back to the boat and now got pressure (over 30psi) and she started right away. A few days later went out to try again and can’t get her started again. No pressure. Should there be 12v to the pump with the key in the on position? Any other things to do to trouble shoot?
Robert

Fuel pump has 12V to + side at all times. Ground is varied thru ECU. Do you hear the pump cycle for a few seconds when key is turn to on? Do you have pressure? If not then pressure regulator is acting be goofy. If it does not run, take a wire and ground it to engine and touch the - side of pump. If pump comes on and has pressure the fuel driver board in ECU is failing

Back