Logo

1971 Johnson 85 carb linkage, advance, retard, set up, hydroelectric shift safety switch.

Mark85

Engine is on a stand in my shop and I'm trying to set things up as much as I can while it is easy to do so. Hydro-electric shift. Sorry, if I don't know the correct names for a couple of things.

Is slow idle set by how much the adjuster allows retard of timing? Butterfly valves are already closed, so I assume that is how it works.

I set the throttle cam and follower roller so that it fully opened the throttle valves. When valves were closed, the upper index line of cam was on the follower roller just as butterfly valves open. Seems straight forward. I was concerned about where the throttle lever (attached to advance linkage) should be when I synched the carbs and aligned the cam index and follower. I thought the safety switch would be aligned with the "neutral" index on the throttle lever at lowest possible throttle, but nope. Maybe it's an irrelevant concern because I can't see any other orientation that would open and close the throttle valves completely.

In the neutral position, the safety switch is depressed by the cam on the throttle yoke and has continuity to ground in just the right position. Is this a switched solenoid ground on the key side? I.e the starter solenoid can only be activated in the neutral position?

There must be a zone that neutral safety switch must fall in order to accommodate fast idle adjustment or it would cut out starting......which seemed to be happening occasionally when I last used it. Switch probably needs adjustment?

When the switch lines up with the neutral arrow on the throttle lever, the carburetor cam follower is exactly half way between the upper and lower indexes on the cam. Is that correct? If so, there is a fair bit of throttle in neutral - but maybe that's correct.

Not quite as straight forward as I thought. Not as many guys with knowledge of these engines these days. Thanks for any input!

Throttle plates MUST be closed to idle properly.----Safety switch prevents cranking when too much throttle is applied.----Some also had a netral start only function in the control box.----But I am not sure what control is installed in your boat.

Back