Logo

need to know what alternator

boatingfun1

Contributing Member
Hello, i have a 95-99 GM 5.7 motor. Need to know what Alternator to get. Did not come with the boat. Its a 1985 Wellcraft 248 sportsman. Someone told me i need a 130 amp but having hard time finding one that fits.
Here is pics i have.

Thank you

Eric

Attachments

• Engine brand.jpg
    Engine brand.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 13
  • engine pic.jpg
    engine pic.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 18
  • Full engine pic.png
    Full engine pic.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 18
  • Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 22
given the block color, its highly likely to be a mercruiser...standard issue for that vintage is a 65 AMP mando...

Don't know if you found what you need, but any marine alternator for a V8 Chevy engine will work, such as the one in the link. It doesn't need to be THAT part, but it's the case style and build that matter. I don't buy new alternators because I have a great rebuild shop nearby and they stock all kinds of alternators and starters.

The fact that the engine is painted black doesn't mean much- Indmar, PCM and others are painted black, too.

If you haven't found a new alternator, the place I use is called MJ Auto Electric on the Western edge of Milwaukee. If you call and talk to Jeff, tell him that Jim from Competition Sports with the white Astro van referred you- I don't know that he'll discount the price, but it adds a point of contact if needed.

Back