Logo

Lower Unit Gear Oil Leaking after cold snap

tmongiello

Good evening. Hoping that this is "normal" and not a cause for concern...

Last March (2022), I had my motor serviced. (1994 Mercury 2 Stroke EXLPTO 125) including lower unit with all new seals.

Used boat all spring and summer a few times each month and it ran great. Usage dropped in October as weather got "cooler" here in Central Florida and the holidays rolled around. Has been sitting in my driveway, unused since October 2022.

After the cold week we experienced last week where temps got down in the 30's for a few hours each night, I noticed a glistening sheen on the stabilizer fin just above the prop. Then saw it on other parts of the lower unit. I wiped it with my finger and noticed it was slick, but no smell. Fairly clear too (so I know it's not gas or oil). Looking closer and it LOOKS like it's seeping from the seal between the lower and upper units.

I am guessing the cold weather caused this as it's been sitting doing nothing the last nearly 3 months. Is this a normal occurance?

Thanks.

Are you sure it isn't 2 stroke oil? I suspect the 2 psi check valve for the oil injection has failed and is allowing oil tank oil to gravity feed back into the fuel system and eventually into the crankcase and start to drain out of the the exhaust. Both of my 1995 115's and my 1998 Bigfoot 60 have all had the check valve fail and start to dump oil all over the place. disconnect your fuel line from the engine and see if the gas is full of oil, it should not be at that point. Start your engine on a flush attachment and see if the engine smokes excessively. ( like a mosquito control cloud)

Maybe time to check your oil lines. Recently had to replace all on my 1986 115. Had a similar experience on a cold first of the season trip.

Back