Logo

General question on carb rebuild

6tring

Contributing Member
Would it be recommended to remove Welch plugs during a carb rebuild? It would be obvious to replace them if they were corroded. Is it good practice to remove, clean and replace anyhow? As always thanks for your input

Was there an issue with the carburetor ?----Was the carburetor full of dirt ?----If it was clean , a new needle and seat and new gaskets is all that I would do.

I see many posts with " cleaned the carburetor 3 times , motor still runs bad. "-----There is not much that can go wrong during normal use.-----They gum up if stored with mixed fuel in them.----Simple inspection and new gasket is often all that is needed.

It depends on what you find with the disassembly and inspection. Sometimes debris can form or be trapped under the little cap, if you suspect something....then drill a 1/8" hole, be careful to not go deep as the bit could cause damage to the carb body. Install a screw and pull out cap. If you don't have a cap, you can clean the burrs off from the drill hole then reinstall the cap, then cover with JB Quick Weld. I have been in a pinch and had to do this. But it only lasts 20 to 30 years.

like racerone said,depends how dirty it is and the issue your having with it.i have a tag wire with a 90° bend in it that i run into the small holes in the carb to open them,then blow it out with carb cleaner

Back