Logo

Did I remove the clear coat?

rcflyyer1

After around 100 hours of service on my 2021 MFS9.8B, I decided to remove the salt accumulation occuring on the part where the lower motor mounts attach. It seems that salt spray reaches this area and, since it gets hot while running, the water evaporates quickly and bakes the salt in. I was able to remove the salt deposits easily with some diluted salt-off on a rag and used Meguiars ultimate polish with a microfiber towel to remove the remaining spots on the black paint.

The first few rounds of polish worked fine, but after that, I started having the black paint rub off onto my towel. Have I effectively removed the clear-coat in that area (if there's any?). I'm used to multi-stage car paint and a shocked a couple rounds of polish could remove the clear. If this is the case, what would be the best way to repair this?

Can I just respray clear-coat on this area? The engine still looks really good overall, and I want to protect it as much as possible. I've attached a picture of the area in question.

Attachments

• mfs9.8edited.jpg
    mfs9.8edited.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back