Logo

Minn kota fortrex power problems

kevindlew

My trolling motor even at first run of the day seems to be operating at whstbid describe as half speed/power. I have to run it at higher speed settings than I should, just to use it. It very quickly over about 30 minutes of momentary use, fades out, acting asif the batteries are dying until it stops all together.
I can take it home and hook up to the brand new onboard charger, and after about 30 seconds of the charger assessing the batteries, it shows all three fully charged.
Batteries have been tested and all three are testing good.
I feel like it has to be the trolling motor. Any ideas what is going on with it? I had one before that started having slower and lower top speed/power, and it turned out the motor head had a leak in it and the motor slowly filled with rust and dirt. I don't know if something similar is happening to this ok be, it's just strange that it's behaving like it's draining the batteries quickly, but it's not.

Sounds like a bad connection in the main power wiring...corrosion, dirt, etc. I start with a good cleaning on all of the connections first...if the retest shows no change, I'd check for a voltage drop between the battery and the motor...if that's ok, then the problem is likely inside of the motor ...

Sounds like a bad connection in the main power wiring...corrosion, dirt, etc. I start with a good cleaning on all of the connections first...if the retest shows no change, I'd check for a voltage drop between the battery and the motor...if that's ok, then the problem is likely inside of the motor ...
Thanks so much. I think you are right. I actually unplugged the unit at the bow as I was looking to see what would be involved in removing it to take in for repair. After plugging it back in…..works like a champ. So I’m not sure if it just was not plugged in all the way or if there is an actual issue with the connection, but I think you hit the mail on the head.

Glad to hear that.

FWIW, there a 'connector lubricant' called NYOGEL (760G for the specific version) that is used in several industries to aid in maintaining electrical connector integrity, especially where there is exposure to the elements...IT also helps a lot where the connectors are 'marginal' in their design. Its not cheap but in my opinion it is money well spent.

Back