Logo

Proper way to measure/test for bad crank position sensor vs bad CDI - C60TLRY

OldButSlow

2000 60hp 3 cylinder C60TLRY - Trying to nail down a diagnosis on no spark on cylinder #2 at all rpm ranges. Did quick coil swaps and issue always stays with cyl #2 only. Starts quick and easy on just cyl #1 and #3 as designed, but as it's throttled up, #2 cyl  spark never develops. I know that idle is controlled by cyl #2 spark shut off until timing advances (somewhere) above idle. Factory manual has CPS specs in minimum "output peak voltage" as: Cranking-5.0v (open & connected), 1500 rpm-2.0v, 3500 rpm-16.0v. - Question; since this is a magnetic induction sensor, shouldn't voltage measurement be in AC? The manual doesn't designate AC or DC measurement. When I measure voltage output at cranking and when running at various rpm's, with the CPS disconnected, I get between 12v-16v AC but when I measure in DC, it get just a few millivolts. Then when I connect the CPS to the CDI and back-probe the two wire connector between, the CPS voltage output readings (in AC) start out at about 12V, but go DOWN the more I throttle up the engine. Based on the specs in the manual, the CPS output voltage should increase with rpm's.... assuming I'm measuring it correctly. I'm just nervous about calling a bad CDI when an OEM replacement is around $600. Any experiences with this would be a great help.

Back