Logo

Mercruiser 3.0 Intake/Exhaust manifold warped

Figure9

Call me an idiot, but when trying to remove my manifold, I thought it was stuck due to rust, but I didn't see one bolt the I neglected to remove. As a result, I warped the manifold and now it doesn't fit flush with the head. There is a .016 gap now where I was trying to wedge it off. Is there a way to get it true again, or do I need to scrap this one.

Ayuh,..... Most automotive machine shops have a great big belt sander, for flattening big iron stuff,.....

So, call 'round to yer local machine shops, 'n see which one can flatten yer manifold for ya,.....

i find this virtually impossible. there is way to much mass iron to cause the manifold to warp. what did you do? use a 20lb sledgehammer and air chisle? are you sure the gasket is on correctly? which bolt was it you missed? also, why were you removing the manifold to begin with?

i find this virtually impossible. there is way to much mass iron to cause the manifold to warp. what did you do? use a 20lb sledgehammer and air chisle? are you sure the gasket is on correctly? which bolt was it you missed? also, why were you removing the manifold to begin with?
I was hitting it pretty hard before I noticed the one center nut I forgot to remove, but I think it's ok. I believe the gap I was seeing was just the missin gasket material that was removed from trying to wedge the manifold off. After I got it off, I checked for flatness, and it was fine.

Back