Logo

'91 Evinrude 70 hp overheat buzzer going off

Mbehr

Twice on the lake last Saturday, the overheat buzzer went off on my '91 Evinrude 70 hp. First time I shut down and sat for awhile. Second time I did the same for a short time and then started back up. Of course the buzzer was still wailing. Then I checked the tell tale pee stream and it was cool. That surprised me as I thought it would at least be warm if the overheat buzzer was going off. So I unplugged the buzzer and went on my way with no ill effects. Motor ran fine and the pee stream was plenty adequate and stayed cool.

I was thinking about taking out the thermostat to see if that made any difference because the overheat sensor and the thermostat housing are right beside each other above the top cylinder, but other posts say I shouldn't do that.

Looking for suggestions.

So----Does the tell tale hose come off the side of the block ?----Or was it moved to the top as per a 1994 service bulletin?----First thing I would do is inspect water pump impeller.

Tell tale comes off the port side of the block. Boat is new to me so I am not aware of the '94 service bulletin. Figured my impeller was okay since I have a good stream of water.

When you buy a boat the first thing you need to do is a new impeller !----Just not me saying that.----So get the latest factory water pump kit.( 0432955 )----It has parts and instructions that you need to pursue.----Post results of a compression test as well.

Last edited:
The water coming from the tell tale does NOT circulate through the engine. ----It indicates that water pump is working to a degree.----Does not tell you that motor is cooling properly.-----Do you have an owner's manual ?

And my final questions are 1) how bad is it to run without a thermostat, and 2) where do I get instructions on relocating the tell tale water line to the top of the powerhead?

Back