Logo

Nine pin side mount

John Gunby

I recently picked up a 1994 75HP and have been suggested to to use a nine pin side mount control box. Any thoughts and suggestions where to look for one preferably in working order?
thank You
John

Be careful with that brand. I installed one and my engine quit. Blew out the ignition box thing.. Turns out the wires inside created a short sending power to the kill connection. They used crappy crimped spade connectors inside that came apart. Long story short it cost me a bunch of money and time to figure out. Later I learned and read about the importance of bench testing the control unit before you connect it to your motor and try to use it.. I can go on about what I had to do to make the thing work... CDI has a good write up on testing your system before installing the new cdi box.. thats how I found the problem... So do yourself a favor and follow the their test before installing a new control. Here is the link.. https://www.outboardignition.com/support/114-5772.pdf

Strange ...I have installed at least 12 of these this summer,2 on commercial customers and haven't had a problem with any of them. One of the commercial units is shifted at least 200 times a day with multiple start/stops as its on a dredging barge
barge3.jpg

Mine sent +12 v via to the kill terminal on the switchbox when I tried the lanyard kill. That fries the switchbox.. Now I know.. The tach only works intermittently.. All was good before. Took me some time to diagnose.. CDI includes the test instructions with the new box for a reason. Inside the control are crimped spade connectors slipped on to the ignition switch and some other place.. Easy to see how it would all come apart assembling the two halves of the control.. Who knows, seems stuff from amazon is often a returned piece, then they send it someone else.. Maybe someone monkeyed with it before me... Nevertheless.. these controls can foul a motor big time and should be tested prior to installation.
To this day my tach only works intermittently... All was good til my original (1985) control broke..

Back