Logo

In-line fuel filter?

Nick0151

Regular Contributor
Apologies if this sounds like a bit of a stupid question but my outboard 1982 evinrude 70 does not have a inline fuel filter or any at all. I take it I should add one to the fuel line that goes between the fuel tank and outboard.

thanks

Nick

Most have a screen in the fuel tank.-----And there is a fine screen in the cover on the fuel pump.-----There are other things to inspect if motor is not running well !

Nothing broken just going to replace hose and primer bulb as got a cheap last one last year, hose has gone brittle already.
as not going to use for a few months just getting bits done when weather allows.
Fuel tank pickup doesn’t have a screen fitted just a hose that goes in.
just wanted to know if I should fit one or be ok without one they are inexpensive but not sure if needed.

thanks
Nick

Last edited:
Hi Racer, I'm back. Been out of touch for some time. All good advice. I would not hesitate to add an in line filter to your new non laminated supply hose. Make sure you get a good quality replacement impeller. Most new ones are made of synthetic rubber and barely last a few years. Here is what ethanol does to the grey laminated hoses.IMG_20201108_214815108_compress64.jpg

Here is another example. I see it quite often.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221130-142201.png
    Screenshot_20221130-142201.png
    642.1 KB · Views: 21
Hi thanks for the reply yes mines gone rock hard and so brittle have no confidence in it so got replacement 8mm 5/16 hose that’s been rated for ethanol so going to replace over the off season all the fuel line in the outboard have been changed for ones like this too. Il stick a inline fuel filter in.

outboard had been serviced before last season so new gear oil and impeller so think end of this one due to be done. Brought it late in the season as was fixing boat up only put 10 hours on it inc idol times so still new. Had few issues with the outboard when got it but last time out ran perfect.

Racer, not to raise any conflict....but Nick said that his fuel tank doesn't have a screen on the pickup tube. The fuel systems, as engineered by OMC, provided a very effective and high quality stainless steel screen at the pickup tube. An additional filter would be a fair precaution in this case. One of the very first lessons I learned in outboard, small engines, automotive, light and heavy diesel, aviation, etc....is to provide an adequate supply of fresh, clean fuel. If that is accomplished, it's one less thing to go wrong. If you don't agree with that, then I beg your forgiveness. Kindly yours, Tim

There is a filter screen in the fuel pump cover !----Or at least there was when it left the factory.-----That is all that is needed.

Yes, that is true. Why is it there? For additional security because every time the hose is coupled to the motor, it can introduce dirt/contamination. For instance, if the hose is off and you store the motor, or trailer your boat down the road....there is residual fuel on the stem. In particular, the older design with no pin/anti drainback. The area is open to dust and grit. Not many people have the initiative to carefully wipe off the stem before coupling the hose. The female coupler might also have collected debris, and it is not blown off or cleaned first. All this can lead to crap getting direct to the fuel pump screen.

I consider myself a filter fanatic. I place an inline filter between the primer bulb and tank. I also filter the fuel when added to the tank with a Mr Funnel filtering funnel. These funnels will also prevent any water from passing through. I also clean away any of the red paint from around the filling port on metal tanks. That paint is otherwise chipping and flaking ending up in the tank. The few older metal OMC tanks that I flushed out contained a lot of red paint chips.

That's right, Racer. I agree. That is the most critical location for a filter. Guess I'm "preachin' to the choir".
6tring, yes that paint often ends up inside the tank OMC did not prime the tanks before spraying with a marginal cost of probably acrylic. When I refinish, I go acrylic all the way, primer, colorcoat, then clear epoxy over everything. My tanks last 50 + years. Don't like plastic tanks, or the grey laminated hoses. Squeeze/primer bulbs are garbage now too. Many of my mid and late '60s Johnrudes still have the original pure latex rubber primer bulb, I'm talking about that little small size ones. I just came back from Northwest Ontario in sub freezing weather and they squeeze and prime perfectly. The aftermarket primer bulbs are as hard as something the groom has in his possession during the honeymoon.

A fuel pump is better at pushing than pulling on a carb engine.. Thats why you see the inline filters after the pump on later model engines. The mesh screen on a OMC pump is for mainly debris as mesh is a 35-40 micron screen. EFI/DFI engines use a finer filter due to electric pumps have more suction and outlet pressures. Look at the old 60's motors that had filter on carb bowl, the fuel pump passed all sizes of trash and just kept a pumping with no stoppage's.

Great info, Pappy. How about those massive screens in the old pressure tanks. They were very fine. I always liked that system. Then a sediment bowl with filter on the powerhead side. Now that's pretty damn good engineering. Flip the cover, look at what's in the bowl, clean as needed....red flag if water. What has happened to our engineering?
Pappy, did you ever see that pontoon boat my friend built with a 90 Merc Tower? Finally got it running right for him.

Last edited:
Back