Logo

Mercury gateway and Simrad functionality

Rscottdds

Regular Contributor
I just repowered with a new 383 MPI. I have a Mercury gateway (Gateway CAN-P MULTI, 8949) connecting the engine data to my n2k network and a Simrad Go9 unit connected as well. I have a smartcraft tach that shows fuel burn and fuel used but what I would like is a mpg calculation. The Go9 has an instrument page that has a mpg gauge but it doesn’t get any data. I can see the gateway and the Simrad on the network and get other engine data just not mpg. Any ideas?

Robert

for MPG, you need fuel consumed and velocity made good (or one of the many variations of 'speed') to be sent to your 'mpg function'...assuming the Go9 has the GPS function, you just need to set up your network so that that fuel consumed data makes it to the Go9...The software and firmware changes frequently on today's electronics so you'll have to dig in and get the details from the owner's manuals...its not hard but can be very time consuming...

The software and firmware changes frequently on today's electronics so you'll have to dig in and get the details from the owner's manuals...its not hard but can be very time consuming...

I tried to “dig in” but still can’t get it to work. I have messages in to the mechanic who installed it and customer support at both Mercury Marine and the Simrad so hopefully I can get this sorted out. Since I can get fuel burn info from the engine and speed info from the Simrad I would think that mph gauge should work.

Robert

Somewhere in the software menu there should be a setting where the Simrad gets it’s speed data from, either a GPS or pitot, maybe that’s causing you issues? Just a guess.

I got this email from Merc. “In order to get MPG, you would have to remove the Mercury CAN P Gateway and install our Vessel View Link module for single engine applications. Part number 8M0110639. This will unlock a Mercury Icon app on your Go Series and give you all the same screens as a Vessel View 903. You can set up MPG on one of the sidebars on the right.”

They told me I have to get the vessel view link? Just looked it up and it’s quite a bit more expensive than the gateway. Seems like there should be a way to get the info I need since there is gph and speed on the Simrad. I guess I’ll do quick calculations in my head or get the link. Not too happy having to spend a few hundred dollars extra just for mpg but I’m close to 30k for the repower so what’s a few extra $$ to get what I want.

Robert

Back