Logo

BF250D no spark on Cyl #2

tsdean1980

Hi all.

I have a 2021 honda 250D.

Engine runs but I have no spark on one cylinder.(no#2).
I have swapped coils, plugs around to make sure they are healthy. I have tested continuity of the cores to the coil from the ECU. But i;ve still no spark.

Is there an easy way of testing coil pulse signal? its impossible to do with a standard multimeter.

I checked the crank sensor and tabs and they all seem to be fine.

Im out of ideas besides thinking its a faulty ECU?

Secondly, does the Dr H software work with new D model outboards?

Thanks all

Firstly it doesn't have an ecu, it has cdi ignition. To test the pulse coils use a vokt meter connected between the black to the other three wires individually while cranking. You should get around 5 volts on each circuit. It is more tgan likely the pulsar coil that's faulty

Wouldn't this be covered under your warranty? You need to be very careful about doing any testing or repairs that might void that.
Just sayin'.
Good luck.

One cheap and "uninvasive" way you could try, to see if the computer is firing that coil, might be with a noid light. Although, in my experience, noid lights don't always work in every instance. But there are inexpensive light kits available from places like Harbor Freight and online if you want to give it a shot.

Good luck.

For anyone interested,

Fixed my issue.
Had a crappy connection where the wire harness goes into the back of the fuse block. very weird fault as it would somtimes bell out and somtimes show full voltage at the plug end.

To test the coil pulse signal, you will need a specialized tool called a oscilloscope. This tool can help you measure the electrical pulse that is sent to the coil from the ECU.

If you do not have access to an oscilloscope, you could try checking the wiring between the ECU and the coil, and ensure that there is no damage or loose connections. Additionally, you could check the fuses and relays that are related to the ignition system.

Regarding the Dr H software, it is possible that it works with the new D model outboards, but it would be best to check with the manufacturer or seller of the software to confirm compatibility.

Hi all.

I have a 2021 honda 250D.

Engine runs but I have no spark on one cylinder.(no#2).
I have swapped coils, plugs around to make sure they are healthy. I have tested continuity of the cores to the coil from the ECU. But i;ve still no spark.

Is there an easy way of testing coil pulse signal? its impossible to do with a standard multimeter.

I checked the crank sensor and tabs and they all seem to be fine.

Im out of ideas besides thinking its a faulty ECU?

Secondly, does the Dr H software work with new D model outboards?

Thanks all

[FONT=&quot]Regading question if Dr H works on 2021 engine: My brpdiagnostics Dr H does not read the ecu of 2019 200 hp engine even after several attempts. I think the DR H will not read any of the updated ECU engines from 2018 on for the 200hp and larger engines. The big round plug engine harness plug changed to a rectangualtr plug as a giveaway if ecu has been updated. Honda added electronic throttle and key switch security into the new ECU. [/FONT]

Back