Logo

1960 5.5 Johnson Renote Control

xxiamdrewxx

Hello first post! I've got a Johnson 5.5 seahorse I think 1960 maybe cd-17?
I would like to convert it to remote control for my little project boat.
My knowledge of outboards is limited I wasn't sure if there was an easy way to go
about it. So before I got in deep and start fabricating stuff I figured I would ask.
I'm going to pick up a vintage dual lever shift assembly but as far as linkages... I thought
perhaps a knowledgeable individual may know of another model to swap stuff from. I have the technology
and know how to create what would be needed but alas who wants to do extra work lol. Side note haven't
looked at the thing in a while got it running good last year and then put it all away
for when time permitted a new project. Any insight would be appreciated I'm a mechanic / body man by trade
unfortunately boat stupid thanks!

You only need a couple of brackets to attach cables on the motor.---Easy to find in my opinion.-----And the correct ends on the cables.----Cables attach to the brackets and the motor without any tools required.

See the box---engine diagrams----On this page.----Click.----Then click on ----1972 accessories.----Then remote controls.----Study the bits you need to hook up to your motor.

The 5.5 requires an adapter kit to attach the shift cable to the motor. Picture is for the wrong motor, but you'll get the idea. They are pretty model-specific.

Attachments

• 6hp Remote Control.jpg
    6hp Remote Control.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 19
You only need a couple of brackets to attach cables on the motor.---Easy to find in my opinion.-----And the correct ends on the cables.----Cables attach to the brackets and the motor without any tools required.

If it were easy for me to find I wouldn't be here asking for assistance :) . I'm not new to finding parts yet I have found no documentation on this motor for remote controls. As said I can make them if necessary no problem. But if they are easy to find for you assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Again, wrong year/model, but a better view of what we are talking about.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-11 232053.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-11-11 232053.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 12
I can cleary see the two locations in pictures and understand the need of brackets. I can't seem to find part numbers anywhere for what I'm looking for. It is obvious to me now this motor has the necessary provisions to attach the cables to. I wasn't so sure before as I haven't looked at the motor in a while. Unfortunately no parts diagram or illustrations for the particular unit show either of these brackets in question. The throttle side simply looks like it would be a cable clamp style bracket. I assume the shift bracket is a two bolt ordeal underneath the small rectangle cover on the passenger side of the motor. If anyone happens to come up with or know part numbers that would be great. I'm thinking something like 321637 would work but it's for newer machines.

Thank you very much! I really do appreciate you "spoon feeding" me lol. Looks like this is going to be alot more simple than I previously anticipated. Now I Just have to figure out my steering situation!

Back