Logo

Question on alternative gearcase oil seals for the more experienced

Snapper Fisho

Regular Contributor
Hi because I'm based in Australia the wait for my early 80s V4 Johnson driveshaft and prop shaft bearing housing inner and outer seals is longer than I hoped so went to a bearing shop and they matched the driveshaft bearing housing seals (p/n 0321453) inner & outer diameter to an all rubber one they had. Can I use this instead, as pictured? The seal went into the bearing housing much easier because of the rubber outer construction compared to the stainless outer of the original OMC one. Would appreciate advice please from the more experienced here.

They also gave me an orange tighter fitting O-ring to grab the seal around the driveshaft, rather than using the stainless spring based removable one the original seal had.

I should clarify that the outside ring is a hardened rubber. Bearing spe******ts said these are their best product and I thought to try two matching sets for my gearcase.

I like the factory stainless housing seals.-----Think about it.----If those rubber seals go in easier , they can also fall out easier as that rubber ages !!

I like the factory stainless housing seals.-----Think about it.----If those rubber seals go in easier , they can also fall out easier as that rubber ages !!

Thanks Racerone. That's my worry at the moment and why I haven't put it back together yet. I would feel a bit more reassured if the inner one at least was still an OEM stainless one.

Considering the cost of internal parts I only use aftermarket seals as a last resort.-------Factory seal kits are not overpriced in my opinion.

Ipdate on these seals...Bearing experts said today the outer part is actually normal steel but is rubber coated. Has two separate lips also rather them coming together as one in the original.
I'm going to wait again for factory genuine stainless but in the meantime, just so I can fish in the short term, I will coat it with gasket sealing compound and use it until I get my hands on another.

The newer OEM seals are rubber coated. one piece and push in easily...341280 for DS and 342787 for PS
0341280_1__25503.1667158114.jpg

The newer OEM seals are rubber coated. one piece and push in easily...341280 for DS and 342787 for PS
0341280_1__25503.1667158114.jpg

Thanks for this info as it's a bit more reassuring. I wonder if the rubber coated outer Is still stainless or standard steel?

Is that single seal design for the driveshaft and prop shaft in their lower hp range? i thought the V4 and V6 range still uses the dual upper and lower seals.

Last edited:
Back