Logo

2008 Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi will not start, odd alarms

sheardc

[FONT=&quot]My 2008 Volvo Penta 5.0 GXi-JF will not start and getting odd alarms. The motor is in a Chriscraft Lancer 20 and has a SX-A 1.60 lower unit.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]When put the key in the ignition and turn the key to the On position, I do not hear the fuel pump run. But hear a clicking noise (like a clock) from the motor compartment AND the dash.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]-Many of the dash gauges, combo water temp, oil pressure, voltage and fuel guages are all moving full scale to zero!! Also the tilt gauge has the same full scale/zero output. The speedometer and tach do not move.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]-In the engine compartment, I hear the clicking sound coming from the small fuse /circuit breaker box behind the hour meter, The clicking noise is coming from the starter relay and fuel pump relays inside.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The motor is possessed!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I checked to see if anything on the boat worked and the horn, lights, blower, stereo and bilge work fine. I have cycled the main breaker by the battery switch (it functions). The battery is charged up to 12.6V Also checked all the fuses located in the fuse box/circuit breaker box by the hour meter; all checked okay.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There is a black switch attached to the front of the water jacket, with a red pushbutton on it. Looks to be either a remote start or main circuit breaker, but pushing the button has no effect.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Checked the Chriscraft and VolvoPenta owners manuals and see nothing about this situation. I do not have the service manual to look further To me, there is an electrical condition that is stopping the start process from completing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Called my local Chriscraft and VolvoPenta dealer and they have no clue what is going, told me to bring boat in. They had me check for hydrolock (reasonable request) but the starter motor and fuel pump are not activating. I did drain the water from the water jackets and pulled the plugs looking for water; both looked fine.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The motor ran fine before this occurred. Thoughts on what this may be before I haul to dealer for an expensive repair. Looking for the DOH! easy fix.

[/FONT]

Found the issue!!

Bad battery with dead cell(s). The voltage looked fine but it would not handle the load. Kept getting weird results. Finally jumped battery from my truck and it worked fine. Had the battery tested at the local auto store and it failed in the first min of the test.
Very weird responses from the boat when the voltage was fine but not enough current / dropping voltage to run.

Back