Logo

Tohatsu MFS9.8 running problem

johngee

Hi,

I have a brand new 2022 Tohatsu MFS9.8 4 stroke outboard. It has only done around 25 hours.
Nothing has been done to the outboard, other than a lower oil change and engine oil change after the 10 hour break in period.

However it has developed an issue when opening the throttle. It idles fine and can achieve full revs at wide open throttle, however at around mid throttle it bogs/stutters so you have to go beyond mid throttle or below mid throttle.

I live in the UK so it runs on E10 fuel (which isn't ideal), but it is the only fuel I can get. I always flush the motor after use and use that process to fully drain the carb of fuel, as I run it until it dies with the fuel hose disconnected.

I was reluctant to pull the carb off and check the jets as the engine is brand new, therefore wanted to check here if anyone had any other advice before pulling the carb.
As I say, the outboard starts fine, idles fine and runs at full throttle fine. It is just the transition from idle to full throttle where the bogging occurs.

Any tips?
Thanks

Isn't there a warranty, where the dealer should fix this for free ?

Is it a 2 cylinder engine, where the second cylinder does not fire until you get to mid speed, then it kicks in ? OR do both cylinders fire all the time ?

Both cylinders fire at the same time through a siamese coil. Issue is likely in the carb.

Back