Logo

Is this a crack in new lower unit?!

This is just from the casting process. Molds are sand which can get these small cracks as they dry. The molten metal flows into the cracks and this is what you see. Honda has to short on finish to keep costs in control.

That thing looks pretty ROUGH to me. I have never seen a new Honda case anywhere near that "boogerish" looking before. If it's not a knockoff then it's definitely a "second" and you should have been told.

I'm with Racerone....send it back or at least document the he// out out of it.

I really don't like how that hoizontal "flaw" intersects with a similar vertical one right at the edge of the plug hole. THAT could very well create a stress riser weak spot in the case in that area.

Don't like it at all!

I've reported this to the merchant, they will contact Honda and see what can be done. I was kinda ready to accept that this is just a rough casting, but the cost of the assembled unit is eye watering, so would expect a lot better. Will advise on the outcome.

If I get nowhere with Honda then I might just cut back the paint and see what's going on, thing is that I probably shouldn't break through the anti corrosion layers and mess up any warranty.

Many thanks for all comments so far.

Last edited:
Hi chris,

Thank you for updating.
That is shocking to me that THAT is Honda's "stance". Particularly because, as you have already said so succinctly, the "eye watering prices" they get for their replacements.

I would think that, for nothing other than customer satisfaction, they would be more than willing to exchange it, at their expense for shipping. But, Honda proves me wrong....again.

I have had a very high regard for Honda products for some time. But in the last few years I have seen some pretty disappointing things from them. This just adds to the list.

At least you've done what's neccesary to document the situation and I hope that you get good service and life out of that unit.

Safe boating to you.

Back