Logo

Johnson OceanPro1998

Jeff62

Hi All, Wondering if anyone has experienced this. Have a Johnson 1998 90 Ocean Pro with 180 hours on it and when cruising up around 2000 rpm and above it starts to speed up considerably almost like pressing the resume button on the cruise control in your car. Had several mechanics look at it and have replaced all that can be and unable to fix my problem. One mechanic told me that is what they do but I just can't manage to think that could be.

Hi All, Wondering if anyone has experienced this. Have a Johnson 1998 90 Ocean Pro with 180 hours on it and when cruising up around 2000 rpm and above it starts to speed up considerably almost like pressing the resume button on the cruise control in your car. Had several mechanics look at it and have replaced all that can be and unable to fix my problem. One mechanic told me that is what they do but I just can't manage to think that could be.

Hull is a 16ft Stejcraft fibreglass Cuddy of 2002 era.

How much RPM/speed does it gain? How long does it take to do this when your at a set RPM? Coud be the wetted hull drying out at speed causing increase.

Look into the optical eye on that motor. I have one and a bad optical eye will cause ALL SORTS of ignition problems. Most diagnose a bad power pack when its actually a bad optical eye (hundreds of dollars vs 60 to 90 dollars).

Just my $.02 (and experience)

Back