Logo

2022 Mercury 115 spark plug removal

fratri

Hi there
I am trying to fog my cylinders for the winter but #4 sparkplug is giving pause. I took out the other 3 no problem but this last one (bottom one #4) gives me some concern. I put the plug socket on it and break it open ok but when I try to unscrew it the socket seems to hit the exhaust making turning it really tight.
Anyone else have this issue or have a tip for me.... It is a 2022 ProXs 115. Thanks

Perhaps take a belt sander and modify the sparkplug socket.----They are not expensive compared to damaging the cylinder head !

Any chance you can post a photo ?

For my 1982 , 80HP I can use a socket on the top 3 spark plugs, but the bottom one can only be removed by removing the 2nd and 3rd plug for room, then using a wrench to loosen, and fingers to undo the plug. One person suggested drilling a hole in the outer casing, but for me that was too extreme. (although would be a good design with a cover of some sort).

??----A 1982 model 80 HP is a 2 stroke and simple to maintain plugs !!-----This 2022 model motor is a totally different motor.----A 4 stroke and plugs are recessed in a tight spot.

??----A 1982 model 80 HP is a 2 stroke and simple to maintain plugs !!-----This 2022 model motor is a totally different motor.----A 4 stroke and plugs are recessed in a tight spot.

I know they are totally different motors, I was just relating to the issue of how designers make motors that are sometimes NOT easy to actually maintain/service.

A photo would be nice so others reading this thread can see the issue, and at least know what to avoid/do when buying their next motor.

Back