Logo

Fuel Pump Test?

6tring

Contributing Member
1967 Johnson 6 hp.

What might be a simple quick test to confirm that the fuel pump is working? Can you confirm by disconnecting the output side than crank it a few times to have flow confirming the proper function of the pump. I have not yet tried this. I hope to have some input on this question.

All have a safe day, Don :confused:

Operate the manual pump.----Observe response from motor.----What is your motor doing / not doing.----Fuel pumps are very reliable.----A new diaphragm will usually fix a bad pump.----Yes it is available !

Operate the manual pump.----Observe response from motor.----What is your motor doing / not doing.----Fuel pumps are very reliable.----A new diaphragm will usually fix a bad pump.----Yes it is available !

Engine that I just acquired. Previous owner said it would quite running after a few minutes. I plan to tackle this project and further troubleshoot soon. Yes that's a good idea to use the manual pump if needed. The motor is in physical nice shape with 80 # compression on each cylinder. That's all I have for now.

Tore into this project.

Carb was a mess upon inspection. Totally gummed and everything standing froze. + Rebuilt

Thermostat locked in closed position. = Replaced

Original head gasket= Replaced

Water pump + Impellor replaced

Points one set at .15 other at .18 = cleaned and reset to .20

Coils= Newer existing sierras

Results+ Starts on one pull and purrs like a cat.

Hey racerone,

Have five of them and now working on acquiring #6 I enjoy very much bringing them back from the grave.

Back