Logo

15 hp powerhead interchangeability

Maraian

Contributing Member
I’ve got a 2005 Johnson 15 2 stroke that runs hot. Pulled the head, exhaust cover and powerhead to change tube grommets. New thermostat and pump. Still get over 230 f on the head. The block is corroded around the outside of the cylinders pretty bad , missing chunks.
thinking I’m just going to get a used freshwater powerhead.
although the models from the 90s through 2007 look about the same, the powerhead part numbers vary during later years. 438595 was used most of the time.
Starting in 2005 changed to 5005456. But looks the same?
Does anyone know if the powerheads are interchangeable even though part numbers vary
thnx

Last edited:
Gasket set appears to be the same from 93 to 2007.-----They make minor changes and that changes the part #.------Item #5 may be the only difference.

Go to boats.net, find the parts your curious about, select the part and scroll down to the bottom and you’ll find a list of models and years that share the same part.

Gasket set appears to be the same from 93 to 2007.-----They make minor changes and that changes the part #.------Item #5 may be the only difference.
Do you happen to know where part #5 is located? I just went through cooling system and didnt notice it ( wasnt looking for it either). It may be my smoking gun for wot hot spot.
Thnx

It is shown on the 1998 block first.-----And on 2005 block.-----Somewhere on / near exhaust cover.-----It is called a grommet.-----

Last edited:
It is shown on the 1998 block first.-----And on 2005 block.-----Somewhere on / near exhaust cover.-----It is called a grommet.-----
Do you think the service manual would have more detailed diagrams that show exact location? Or do the usually have the same diagram as the parts catalog?

Back