Logo

1989 5.7 260 hp

DrewCobalt

Kinda overheated my 5.7 ..Compression test shows she is pretty much done. so looking for a cheaper solution to get back out on the water .. So question is and I am sure it's been discussed before but can I run a regular 350 in this ? She is a Heavy boat and very rare to run at High rpms for any length of time. Mainly used to get out to fishing spot then troll.

Some issues to consider here...
1) Age of engine...
2) Run in fresh or sea water....if sea water does engine have a heat exchanger.
3) Possible just a blown head gasket and you might get away with a new head gasket and a head replanning (if warped).
4) If you are going to do all the work... there is one set of solutions. If you are going to pay yard labor rates, other options.
5) How long do you plan to keep the boat?
6) What brand boat... Engine redo decisions for Bertrams and Blackfins and other top tier boats one thing "other brand boats" different decisions.

No one size fits all answer to your question.

Why did the engine overheat in the first place?

Last edited:
If you are suggesting using a 350 from truck or auto then the basic answer is yes.

BUT..................

You need to do many things to make Marine.

The list is long so if this is what you are asking then let us know.

There are many good options for refurbished marine engines. The pricing is typically around $2500-$4000 based on options wanted.

A refurbished 350 long block with heads installed can be a great option.

Let us know more details.

Last edited:
If you really love this boat, then maybe take a swing by your local Mercruiser shop and see about repower options. A brand new engine with warranty has its appeal for sure. They offer financing that will allow you to get back on the water without emptying your bank account.

Back