Logo

Overheating issue : 1990 4.3 Mercruiser, Alpha 1 outdrive

kirkll

Regular Contributor
[FONT=&quot]Questions:

1). How do I check the water pump pressure and outflow while in the water, and using using muffs?
2) My temp gage is original on this 1990 boat. At normal operating temp the gage only shows 130-140. I would like to replace it with something showing an accurate temp. What would you guys recommend? I was considering changing out several other gages while I’m at it, so I’m not limited to changing just the temp gage if there is a multiple gage panel available.
3). How often does the sending unit that the temp gage hooks to go out? I know there are different types on these motors.
how do you determine which one is the correct sending unit without taking the old one into a shop?

here is a back ground story , and info leading up to my overheating issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I had a new impeller put in the outdrive in the spring of 2020. I doubt very much I’ve got 300 hours on it. Probably closer to 200 . A few days ago we fired it up and ran it about 6-7 miles down the Nehalem to the jaws of the bay running about 3800-4100 rpms. She ran like a top. Temp gage staying right at 135-140. ( normal position on the gage) We were setting crab pots and idling, when the temp jumped way up and pegged the gauge. It got hot enough to start smoking a bit too before seeing the temp gage pegged.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I shut her down checked the motor out, and nothing seemed amiss. So we let her cool off and just fished with the trolling motor till around noon.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I fired up the main again, and ran it for a few minutes at 1000 rpms to pick our pots up, and it was like as soon as the thermostat opened it jumped above 200 real quickly. So I shut her down and let it cool off again for another hour.

After we picked up the crab pots using the kicker I thought I’d try something…. I fired up the main again , put her in gear and ran it up to 1500- 2000 rpms and watched the temp gage like a hawk…. She ran 10 minutes and stayed at 140, so I picked it up to about 3200 rpms and got it on plane. We cruised about 6 miles upstream with No problem….[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]as soon as I slowed down again to bring it into the dock , the temp jumped back up to 200 rather quickly…. So I shut it down and used the kicker to bring it in…….

I’m thinking this must be a screwed up impeller that pumps water at higher rpms, but not enough at idle……Is this possible?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Is there another possibility here? How do you check an inboard /outboard for water circulation or water pressure ? I mean these things don’t pee…. Any ideas here? I’d sure appreciate you thoughts………Thanks Kirk[/FONT]

the impeller could be fine...it could be the exhaust elbows being clogged and restricting the water flow...

you can add water pressure gauges to the exhaust elbows...FastJeff did it on his old Marinette if I remember correctly...

That’s a pretty good idea to add a pressure gage to the manifold. I would imagine you could even put a sensor with a gage at the helm too.

If this is a restricted exhaust manifold issue, I would think the motor would run hotter than normal at higher rpms underway too, and possibly effect the performance of the engine with the back pressure…. The fact that this overheating issue is like flipping a switch when running at low rpms, and runs fine underway at higher rpms has an impeller issue written all over it….. I think I’ll start there. Kirk

That's your call...

It could also be a restriction on one of the rubber interconnecting hoses....sometimes, the hose layers separate and you can get one or more "flappers" that cause problems...the exhaust elbows' corrosion can produce 'small flakes' or 'big flakes' - and they can show different flow characteristics.

Be methodical and you will find the cause...

Back