Logo

Prop Question?

6tring

Contributing Member
:confused:

Concerning a 1967 Johnson 6 hp short shaft.

I am curious to know if any change in power or performance going from the standard 8"x 7-1/4" 2 blade versus the 8-1/4" x5" 3 blade ? Your input would be most appreciated. I use my motor to push a 14' Lund aluminum fishing boat. Top speed with gear and 2 people is 6 mph.

Thanks, Don

Last edited:
Sounds like the motor might be running on 1 cylinder.-----Do compression test .----Post the numbers.-----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on both leads?

Sounds like the motor might be running on 1 cylinder.-----Do compression test .----Post the numbers.-----Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" or more on both leads?

Motor runs perfect! Just a heavy boat I guess. I have a 1965 Johnson 6 hp that I put on the Lund and it also runs out same speed 6 mph. Compression each cylinder is 90# and good spark jump.

Last edited:
6mph is about what one would expect if the motor doesn't have enough power to plane the boat. Face it, 6 horsepower probably just isn't enough.

Motor runs perfect! Just a heavy boat I guess. I have a 1965 Johnson 6 hp that I put on the Lund and it also runs out same speed 6 mph. Compression each cylinder is 90# and good spark jump.
I have a 14ft lund too they are heavy. I have a 25hp on it. Works very well with 2 people.

Not looking for speed. 6hp gets me around just fine. Fish lakes, not rivers fighting strong currents.. Like a sailor I enjoy the journey to the destination over time. Would one think that a 3 blade prop cut trough weeds better if at all? I go into shallows. Looking for input and advice before shelling out the bucks tp purchase a 3 blade.

Back