Logo

OBD2 for diagnostic or DR Honda kit

Ninos

Hi guys,
Has anyone ever used OBD2 with app like tourque on Honda outboard?the same one used in automotive sector.
I would like to read the parameters of my BF150 A that have issue with hight temperature alarm and no alarm active on ecm.

Thanks

No, have not tried OBD2 and don´t know if it would work. I first used a generic Honda outboard diagnostic tool bought on eBay. Worked well but was unable to change the Instance Number of my twins so sold it and bought Dr H which was able to. By the way, high temp alarms are not stored in the ECM.

Hi , thanks basically my ideas was to monitor the temperature of the varius sensors to understand wich of them rises before the allarm arrives, in order to have a clue on how to proceed. We could not solve the problem as it only happens after 5000rpm and occasionally.
Motor reduce the rpm at 1000 and sound of hight temperature coming for only 20 second.
I think ECM receives something from a sensor to activate engine protection.

No idea on OBD, but when I’ve had an issue like this on my 130, occasional overheat alarm and shutdown, it’s been an issue with the pisser clogging with a tiny particle. I’ve removed the rubber hose attached to the spray nozzle, let it run for a bit, and the problem goes away. Sometimes the nozzle has a small bit of crap stuck in it.
I rinsed my 130 in a barrel with several jugs of vinegar to clean out the cooling passages, since then it has spit out small bits of crap once in a while. I’ve continued to rinse the outboard in water, thermostat removed and spray nozzle removed. It seems to have cleared up the problem

I was hoping Ninos would respond since I have a similar situation with Over temp Alarm and subsequent engine shut down. In my case all passages are clear and all that could be replaced such as water pump, thermostats, and sensors still resulting in an overheat alarm. The Exhaust Sensor trips the alarm.

No idea on OBD, but when I’ve had an issue like this on my 130, occasional overheat alarm and shutdown, it’s been an issue with the pisser clogging with a tiny particle. I’ve removed the rubber hose attached to the spray nozzle, let it run for a bit, and the problem goes away. Sometimes the nozzle has a small bit of crap stuck in it.
I rinsed my 130 in a barrel with several jugs of vinegar to clean out the cooling passages, since then it has spit out small bits of crap once in a while. I’ve continued to rinse the outboard in water, thermostat removed and spray nozzle removed. It seems to have cleared up the problem
Hi
I get random HT alarms and shut down on my BF100. I have been thinking of taking the thermostats one but all the mechanics have spoken to recommend against because it is a fuel injected engine. Your thoughts please

You maybe should start your own thread on this to get answers to your issues.

Thermostats could be removed for running during flushing only, on an FI outboard the thermostat keeps engine operating temperature in the correct range, a sensor changes the air/fuel mix based on temperature, so rich when cold leaning out when warm.

You maybe should start your own thread on this to get answers to your issues.

Thermostats could be removed for running during flushing only, on an FI outboard the thermostat keeps engine operating temperature in the correct range, a sensor changes the air/fuel mix based on temperature, so rich when cold leaning out when warm.
Many thanks for your reply. I did a thread a couple of years ago on this issue, but as per your suggestion I may start a new one.

Hi guys,
Has anyone ever used OBD2 with app like tourque on Honda outboard?the same one used in automotive sector.
I would like to read the parameters of my BF150 A that have issue with hight temperature alarm and no alarm active on ecm.

Thanks
There is no OBDII port, the diagnostic port is more like an ethernet cable connection. Dr H has a cable from a laptop to a box, from the box to the diag connection on the motor. It's sad that they do not utilize a standard OBDII port.

Hi
If you look at ie Aliexpress and search for Honda Diagnostic tool you'll get items with adapter cable from different OBD type connectors used by Honda to OBD-II. Like 5-10$

Back