Logo

1994 70 HP EVINRUDE Need help please

Craig Knable

I have a 1994 70 HP Evinrude VRO Deleted, 50:1 Mix engine that is new to me. The engine has 120 PSI on all 3 cylinders. I rebuilt the carbs when I got it cause it had been sitting for a few years and also did lower unit maintenance. It ran rough. so. After rebuilding carbs it made it run better. But, would only do top speed if i primed the bulb while ALSO holding the choke (little red lever) in the right position it would seam to run a bit better, but only for a short time. I have rebuilt the choke (top side gaskets and lever) twice. It squirts gas out all over the place. I took it to my only 2 stroke guy in town and he said it was a bad power pack and one bad coil. I got it back and onto the water today and its like nothing was done. Can i just literally remove the auto choke ( lines and all from Fuel pump) as i do not think it is needed and it is causing me a sever headache. Fuel is POURING from this location. Here is my line of thought. Fuel needs to get to carbs but is routed through solenoid. Solenoid leaks like a sieve and doesn't allow fuel to bowls. Delete choke and fuel goes where it is needed. I paid a guy 800 dollars to repair my motor and im still in the same situation. Thanks for any help. Have been reading my brains out trying to find out if deleting a choke is allowable. :) Edit My mechanic linked and sinc'd the controls and timing as well. He has done good work for me in the past.

Last edited:
The electric primer valve is a wonderful / simple / reliable item.-----Learn how it works as you need it for cold starting !----Fuel from this primer valve does NOT go to the carburetor bowls.

The electric primer valve is a wonderful / simple / reliable item.-----Learn how it works as you need it for cold starting !----Fuel from this primer valve does NOT go to the carburetor bowls.

So if i squeeze the primer bulb with the choke (Red lever) in line with the solenoid (Up and down). It does not leak. BUT if I squeeze the bulb and engaging the choke it pours gas. Is that normal?

And to counter that. If I rotate the red lever in the complete opposite direction and prime the bulb its a garden hose of gas, with out engaging the auto prime. But i just pulled it apart 3 times and put it back together. Am i doing something severely wrong? Did i get 2 bad sets of repair kits back to back ? lol. Im ok with being called an idiot, i am by no means a marine mechanic =) Just trying to save a few buckaroos

I guess my thinking is like this. And please. Correct me if I am wrong. But a line for fuel goes to the choke, from the main fuel supply. If the choke is leaking, then that fuel is not getting to the carb bowls. I agree, they are separate. But, fuel is leaking from the solenoid. And to me that means it is not going to the bowls as it should.

There are 2 small hoses that come off the primer valve.-----When motor is cranking the key is pushed in.-----Fuel is then sprayed into the air as it goes into the motor.----This fuel bypasses the float bowl and metering circuits.-----A wonderfully well engineered item installed since 1980 and used on motors from 9.9 to 300 HP.

If the red lever is in the wrong position it will allow too much fuel into the engine.----Have you installed the latest water pump repair kit ?------Does spark jump a gap of 3/8" or more on the 3 leads ?-------Is flywheel key good ?---Does the tell tale fitting come off the side of the block or the top ?----The simple rebuild kit and maybe the wee filter for the primer is all it takes.----The o--ring is leaking.-----I am going to be blunt as usual.-----If you understand how this motor works , the trouble shooting will be so much easier.

Its ok Racerone. I have replaced the o-ring on the lever and it still leaks like crazy. It can swing between two positions. Inline with the body of the solenoid (tip pointed down) and straight up and down with the solenoid (tip pointed up). The water pump is fine. It has spark on all 3 cylinders. Im assuming the flywheel is good as the mechanic was going to take off the stator and was in the process when he realized (what he thought was the problem) it was a bad power pack and coil. The filter in the primer looked clean and wasnt/isnt all gummed up. The fitting is on the side of the block. He said he tested it and it ran fine. Im starting to wonder if he used a different tank and if that is my issue? Ive tried calling him and im getting no response.

There was a service bulletin that came out in 1994 to move the tell tale fitting to the top of the block.-----But good luck getting this motor sorted out.

Back