Logo

Mercury 50 HP 2 Stroke will not run over 2500 rpms in gear

divingdad9812

I have a 2008 Suncruiser pontoon with an 08 Mercury 50 HP 2 stroke. The boat was parked most of last summer and I was only able to run it on Memorial Day weekend 2021. It ran perfect when I parked it and I left it with 3/4 tank of gas in it. I was able to finally get some time this past weekend to put it on the water. I was able to start with not much issue and go into warm up and idle up as high as needed but when in gear going forward, I could only get to around 2500 rpms before it would throttle out or completely shut down. Also, I'm at about 3/4 throttle to get 2500 rpms/6mph or so and in normal circumstances that same amount of throttle has me moving much faster with a lot more power. And again, under idle or warm up i'm able to bump the throttle as high as needed and it sounds perfect but as soon as I go into gear its a different story. Another thing worth mentioning is that at 3/4 throttle if I bump my electric choke with the key the engine will rev on up and sound fine for just a few seconds and then immediately go back down to 2500.<br><br>All help is appreciated guys and thank you!

Back