Logo

idle issue

RKL-24, a 1962 Johnson 40hp, excellent cond, everything is new except engine internals, starts instantly, runs great, but, when in gear (idle in the marina) or neutral it will seem to load up and die, running premium fuel, Amsoil Marine HP oil NGK plugs one step up in heat from stock, any ideas as to whats going on greatly appreciated.

Runs " great" but it " loads up " and dies ??----Post the compression numbers here.-----And is throttle plate fully closed at idle ?

had read/been told 90-100psi , took the head off, both cyls same, crosshatch on intake side, scoring on exhaust. got photos but having probs posting them here. dont know the hrs but dads the original owner, boat life was lake st Clair in Detroit, garage kept, cond is excellent but used of coarse

Scored cylinders means motor needs to come apart for inspection / rebuild.---Simple as that.

agreed trying to avoid that due to limited parts availability and cost vs gain. is that my prob or maybe worn drive shaft @ the pump seal? as mentioned everything's new but some hard parts are orig. just did comp test still 92psi but is dripping oil out the weep hole above the prop. seems strange to me, ive been threw this thing and it does run pretty good, learned a lot about outboards but this ones got me scratchin my head.

Scored cylinders means motor needs to come apart for inspection / rebuild.---Simple as that.

agreed trying to avoid that due to limited parts availability and cost vs gain. is that my prob or maybe worn drive shaft @ the pump seal? as mentioned everything's new but some hard parts are orig. just did comp test still 92psi but is dripping oil out the weep hole above the prop. seems strange to me, ive been threw this thing and it does run pretty good, learned a lot about outboards but this ones got me scratchin my head.

Back