Logo

9.9 HP No cooling water circulation

Ayatm8r

I just installed a new raw water pump impeller on my 2006 9.9 engine and it doesn't piss out any water after running a minute or so. Any ideas out there in Honda clamp-on land? There are other problems to address once this is sorted out.
Thanks!
Dave

Well...first off, I agree with racerone about running it in a tank with plenty of water in it....not muffs.

But if it still won't piss there are a few possibilities:

The tell tale passage might be blocked with debris/twigs/moss.

You may have accidentally moved the drive key when putting the pump cover back on.

You could have missed getting the water tube aligned with the block inlet. Did you inspect the grommet at the top if the tube?

There might be old impeller pieces blocking the inlet to the block. Did you try backflushing the block and account for any pieces in there?

Impeller pieces can also block the pump from priming as they tend to fall down below it when they shred. You can take off an intake screen and check whats in there.

If the pump housing is damaged badly enough the pump might not prime even with a new impeller. If the impeller was in pieces then the cover/wiper cup should probably be replaced too.

Good luck.

Well...first off, I agree with racerone about running it in a tank with plenty of water in it....not muffs.<br><br>
<br><br>
But if it still won't piss there are a few possibilities:<br><br>
<br><br>
The tell tale passage might be blocked with debris/twigs/moss.<br><br>
<br><br>
You may have accidentally moved the drive key when putting the pump cover back on.<br><br>
<br><br>
You could have missed getting the water tube aligned with the block inlet. Did you inspect the grommet at the top if the tube?<br><br>
<br><br>
There might be old impeller pieces blocking the inlet to the block. Did you try backflushing the block and account for any pieces in there?<br><br>
<br><br>
Impeller pieces can also block the pump from priming as they tend to fall down below it when they shred. You can take off an intake screen and check whats in there.<br><br>
<br><br>
If the pump housing is damaged badly enough the pump might not prime even with a new impeller. If the impeller was in pieces then the cover/wiper cup should probably be replaced too.<br><br>
<br><br>
Good luck.

I have it in a 100 gallon tub with the water intake fully submerged for testing purposes. I pulled the lower unit and placed it in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Chucked the drive shaft on a 1/2" drill and ran it in a clockwise direction (I assume clockwise since I installed the impeller CCW from the bottom). Still didn't get any action so I assume the blockage is from old impeller under the intake strainer. Darkness kept me from going any farther, headed to the lake for the weekend so I'll get back with the results Monday or Tuesday. I also stretched a 3/8" ID plastic tube over the water intake on the upper. Will get to Lowe's for fittings to adapt that to garden hose Monday if the intake strainer fix doesn't get the job done. Thanks for the quick reply fellas!

I did all the above, no signs of any impeller pieces. With the lower unit still in the bucket of water I figgered it needed priming. Poured water in the outlet tube of the impeller housing, that did the trick and got it pumping. I re-installed the lower unit on twice more still no cooling. Figgered I was missing getting the housing outlet properly lined up with the block inlet. I cut a skinny white coat hanger to the proper length, doubled the impeller housing end over to prevent it finding it's way into the pump. Had a pal guide the coat hanger into the block inlet, put it back together and voila, it's pumping and pissing. Left the skinny coat hanger in figgering it will maybe rust out or be in place next time I need to replace the impeller.
Now another problem I referred to is that it won't run above idle. Can we solve it here or do I need to start a new thread for this gremlin?

See post #3 the very last sentence. Did you replace the housing and cup? Any deformed part associated with the water pump assembly can cause you grief.

The housing and pump are brand new. Check my last post. It's up and pissing!:<)

I realize that sorry I wasn’t clear on my post. You shouldn’t have had to prime the pump by pouring water in the outlet tube. When you drop the lower unit into the water the pump will be fully submerged and should be self priming. When you lift the engine out of the water the water both inside and outside the pump will drain completely. As far as starting a new thread for a completely different issue I would suggest you do start a new thread.

Back