Logo

Quicksilver throttle control Trim up button not working.

Scottnz1

I have a Bayliner Capri with a 5L Mercruiser inboard engine, with a Quicksilver throttle control. This has an up and down trim and a trailer up trim. My Trailer up trim works, my down trim works but my up trim does not work. I replaced the wiring loom for the throttle control, but it still does the same thing. Any ideas on what is causing the up trim to not work? Thanks Scott.

Last edited:
Most likely the trim limit switch on the passenger side of outdrive, Black puck with two wires.

If you look near thr trim pump, there should be a small connection of 5 wires and if you disconnect the two connections and install a jumper as shown in the image I have attached this will bypass the trim limit switch until you replace it.

This will allow trim up switch to raise outdrive all the way up so you will not need the trailer button until trim limit switch is replaced and adjusted.
You will need two bullet male crimp ends to make the jumper and make it at least 6 inches long

Untitled.jpg

Hey thank you for this, I will test the switch bypass if all good then will buy the switch
Cheers
Scott

Most likely the trim limit switch on the passenger side of outdrive, Black puck with two wires.

If you look near thr trim pump, there should be a small connection of 5 wires and if you disconnect the two connections and install a jumper as shown in the image I have attached this will bypass the trim limit switch until you replace it.

This will allow trim up switch to raise outdrive all the way up so you will not need the trailer button until trim limit switch is replaced and adjusted.
You will need two bullet male crimp ends to make the jumper and make it at least 6 inches long

View attachment 29269

View attachment 29269
Hi Jack, I'm having same issue. So that I understand, I would just join together purple/white and blue/white?

I have a Bayliner Capri with a 5L Mercruiser inboard engine, with a Quicksilver throttle control. This has an up and down trim and a trailer up trim. My Trailer up trim works, my down trim works but my up trim does not work. I replaced the wiring loom for the throttle control, but it still does the same thing. Any ideas on what is causing the up trim to not work? Thanks Scott.
Scott, did jumping these wires make so you could use "up" tilt? Thanks Mike

Scott, did jumping these wires make so you could use "up" tilt? Thanks Mike
Ayuh,..... Start a thread of yer own, 'n tell us about yer problem, rather than hy-jacking this old thread, where yer problem won't be found,....

Make sure you set the switch correctly, the manual has the dimensions where to cut out they are 1" different for the Alpha and Bravo I think so make sure you get that right. Under way you dont want the trim to come up too high to suck air, which is what the limit switch protects against.
My 2001 4.3 Alpha is 20 3/4" from the pivot center front to the pivot center rear, I think the Bravo is 21 3/4" but that is going by memory. double check the numbers.

Back