Logo

Prop replacement for 1980-70HP MARINER

naio83

Hi,
I have a 1980 3cil, 2 carbs, 70HP Mariner, installed in a 4.5 meter fiberglass boat and the boat + engine are less than 500 kilograms of weight. We are usually 2 or 3 in the boat, exceptionally 4 (220 - 300 kilograms), the use is in fresh water, no tach installed but top speed with GPS and 2 persons onboard is 60 km/h. (SN: 53623XX)
It used to have a prop with the number 48 73138A-4 14P, as far as I know that prop is a 10 1/4 diameter, with 14 of pitch.
That prop was damaged years ago, and in the marina one similar was installed. Few years laters that prop also was damaged (it lasted much less than the original one).
So, I have to buy a new prop, I live outside the US so the access to props is limited. I have a couple of questions, since I am a bit lost to be honest...

1.jpeg2.jpeg

1) I was told that a prop of 10 1/4 for a 70hp was too small so I should consider something bigger, such as 13 inches. My very first thought was that if the engine has been working for so long with a 10 1/4 there is no reason to change. But since the change in the prop, in my case, is something that happens once in a while, I would love to hear some recommendations. Is the 10 1/4 the accurate for my engine/boat/use? Can I improve performance by changing it to a 10 3/4 (13 inches sounds too much difference for me) ?

2) I am completely lost with brands. I am not getting mercury black max, or similar. The offer here in Aluminium and 3 blades of 10 1/4 14P are:
BS.PRO, BaerScan Propeller Company, with fixed hub.
SOLAS, not sure about the model, with a fixed hub.
MICHIGAN VORTEX, this model has a replaceable hub.

3) In two prop warehouses, I was asked if my Mariner 70hp, comes with the 40hp leg or the 90hp leg. Apparently, in my country these motors came with those variants. Could it be possible? They told me that my engine has a 40hp leg.

3.png

I've been reading and listening to suggestions, and up to now I think that SOLAS is the best match in the same size that the original prop that I used to have (10 1/4 14P).
But please, If any of you have some recommendations, I am all ears.

Thank you in advance.

Back