Logo

Loud clacking when shifted to reverse

1ton

Contributing Member
I have a 1981 Evinrude E60ELCIA that has a loud clacking noise when shifted into reverse. Can even feel it in the shifter. Only does it when in the water. Seems to work fine with no noise at all when running on purge cups. Anyone have an idea whats going on? Doesn't seen to open all the way up on the water either. Shift linkage needs adjusting? I'd appreciate some input. Thanks

How did it shift for you last season ?----Check gear oil.----Look into shift rod height.----Important to have that correct.----It does not do it on the hose because there is no effort required for prop to move air !

Don't know about shifting last season. It's a pig in a poke. Gear oil had a little water, no metal shavings. Could have just been changed. Did smell a little burnt. Shift rod height the best I can tell with a tape measure is 20&13/16ths to the center of the shift rod hole. Happen to know the spec? Oil around the shift rod cover. I'm gonna do a vac n pressure test to see if it leaking there. Thanks for the reply.

Try 20 29/32"----I think reverse will work better with that setting.----A seal kit is much cheaper than the gears / bearings / shafts.-----

Thanks for the shift rod height spec. I did a pressure test. It was leaking air fast. Sprayed soap and got bubbles around the top of the shift rod seal/boot. Cut the zip tie, slid the seal up and I've got a lot of play between the shift rod and the cover bushing. No part # for just the bushing. I guess I have to buy a new cover to tighten up the tolerance between the shift rod and the bushing or is the seal/boot the only thing keeping the oil in and water out? A lot of gear oil came out from under the shift rod boot.

No --------Take a really good look at this set-up.----The boot is just to keep sand and barnacles out!!!!-------You just need to remove the old o-ring and slide in a new one.----This o-ring is often overlooked but an easy fix !!

The o-ring is inside the cover.-----Under the bushing.-----If you remove the cover to replace that o-ring you will need a new gasket.----All very simple to me.

Got the parts, put it back together and checked the rod height 3 times. Still doesn't want to go into reverse. I put in down in a barrel of water to get some pressure on the prop. Still doing the clacking. I just don't know. Any other advice on what it might be?

Back