Logo

1988 Classic 50 45hp elo stator question

Bdlowder

I need to know if the stator for this engine has 4 or 6 wires as the seloc manual for thunderbolt v has 6 wire . The stator I have only has 4 and the cdi has place for a red wire empty at the top right corner and red/white on the bottom. , currently empty . Makes it impossible to test a stator as per the manual if it doesn’t have the same wires .
Can anyone help me out here , info is very much appreciated .

You have a red stator kit installed...get a OEM manual as Seloc good for starting fires and emergency toilet paper

Troubleshooting Procedures
If the DVA reading is HIGH (particularly @ 1000 RPM) the ADAPTER MODULE is defective.If the DVA reading is LOW, the stator, adapter module
or switch box may be defective. Refer to the particular
engine model procedure, following, to isolate the prob-
lem.
Disconnect the BLUE adapter lead from the
switch box.
Connect the DVA meter between the BLUE
adapter lead and ground.
Crank the engine (manual or electric).
If the DVA is normal (190 to 260 volts), the switch
box is defective.
If the DVA reading is still low, either the stator or
the adapter is defective.
Disconnect the GREEN/WHITE and WHITE/
GREEN stator leads from the adapter.
Measure the resistance between the GREEN/
WHITE and WHITE/GREEN stator leads.
If the resistance is normal (660 to 710 ohms), the
adapter is defective.
If the resistance is incorrect, the stator is defec-
tive

Solved the problem - the Guy before me put the wrong stator on it so I used a cdi electronic k1 stator . Looks to be a common mistake for the guy repairing their own outboards because the engine is hard to find the right unit in Merc’s messed parts system .

A lot of these came from factory with red stator...some engineers idea that bled over from the Force motor side.

The red stator on my engine which I’m sure the previous owner installed did not have the red , red/white wire indicated on the schematics for this engine . Cdi electronics is the unit I ordered and should be delivered this coming week . It does have the correct wires .
I noticed the mercury catalogs are somewhat confusing. I looked up the part for this motor and come up with the incorrect one myself and it confused me too but finally found an old post saying basically this was a common mistake due to how mercury listed the motors .
It must be a 1981-1989 mercury classic 50 45hp to get the right motor .
I am still not sure if I use the long narrow black sealed box that was used with the other red stator as seloc does not show it used but mercury listed it as a upgrade on their brand stator . I’m likely going to not use it as I’m unsure .
this one is a 9 amp and the red stator was a 16 amp , so I may end up replacing coils and trigger under the stator .

Get rid of Selco manual..and you will not use the adapter(slim box) and no need to waste money on coils or trigger as 9/16 amp use the same.

The part number for the red stator that was incorrectly put on the engine by the former owner was 308-032175-A17 .
The boat was last licensed in 2013 so it sat for 9 yrs likely because of this mistake .
parts due to arrive tomorrow so hopefully this gets it going .

The saga continues ... the rectifier tested bad and I had a up trim switch go out so now I'm chasing down wires for shorts . I found one wire hidden way back behind the remote control connector that was partially bare though it had electrical tape that had the adhesive went bad so I fixed it .
Now waiting 5 days for parts .
Kentucky fall fishing season is burning so this might get conitnued in the spring if I don't get it running with this attempt .

Back