Logo

new user, new to outboards, help diagnosing hard start, poor idle

johnnycr

Hi all! New user here. I have some experience on small engines and cars, but I'm totally new to the world of outboard motors. This summer my dad has been letting me use his fishing boat, and I've been trying to fix some things here and there. It is equipped with a 1996 Johnson 88 spl motor. All summer it's been difficult to start (need to give it a little throttle while cranking) and idles poorly (after the first start, it dies right away after throttling down to neutral). So far, I've replaced the spark plugs and rectifier, and I also rebuilt the fuel pump and cleaned the carburetors and replaced the gaskets, float, and needle valve. The battery is brand new also. The boat still idles poorly and starts hard but runs beautifully at WOT. I'm not sure what to look into next. Maybe I just need to adjust the idle screw? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you pushing the key in and holding it in while cranking it over for cold start ?

Yes, and even then, I still need to give it a little throttle. I thought that maybe the primer solenoid could be bad, and that's a possibility. I haven't tested it yet. But I don't see how that would affect the idle once it gets running.

Personally, I don't think it's broken and doesn't need fixing. Giving it a little throttle to cold start is normal. Likewise, having to "bump" the primer (momentarily pushing the key in) to keep it running till it warms up enough to keep going on its own is normal.

Back