Logo

Inspection hatch install on Fiberglass Bass Boat

I have a Klassic 1992 17' fish and ski that I need to install a round inspection hatch. Ideally, in front of the transom and the outboard in the area I call the back wash. This hatch will allow me to service and replace the Bilge and Aerator pumps much easier since the only access is from the battery storage areas to the right and left of center, in an enclosed space except for the access doors for the batteries.
My question is, will I be risking a structural weakness in the transom area if i make this cut in front of the engine in this sloped backwash location above the boat sump and Bilge/Aerator locations? this back wash is all fiberglass and is about 3 feet long and 12 inches wide and I would like to use an 8 inch round hatch.

Thanks

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

John Daniel

I have a Klassic 1992 17' fish and ski that I need to install a round inspection hatch. Ideally, in front of the transom and the outboard in the area I call the back wash. This hatch will allow me to service and replace the Bilge and Aerator pumps much easier since the only access is from the battery storage areas to the right and left of center, in an enclosed space except for the access doors for the batteries.
My question is, will I be risking a structural weakness in the transom area if i make this cut in front of the engine in this sloped backwash location above the boat sump and Bilge/Aerator locations? this back wash is all fiberglass and is about 3 feet long and 12 inches wide and I would like to use an 8 inch round hatch.

Thanks

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

John Daniel

A lot of boats come with this from the factory- it's called a 'deck plate'. The problem- if the hull is far below the well, you won't be able to reach far enough into the hole with both hands to do much of anything and it will be hard to see what you're doing, so a rectangular hatch might be a better idea.

What's directly ahead of the space where you might need access? Can you get to it from the front?

I searched and didn't find anything about the Klassic brand- can you post some photos? I found this thread in the search, but nothing spelled that way.

Back