Logo

'84 50hp starting questions

notherboat

When I bought the motor the seller showed me how to position the throttle lever back toward reverse when turning the ignition to start. He demonstrated that this positioned the linkage on the starboard side of the powerhead for starting.
It worked OK, sort of, on the trailer. But that is not consistent nor dependable when on the water for some reason.
Once, it started in that position so I marked it with tape alongside. But since then it only seems to start when I put the throttle lever into forward somewhere. I can't figure it out and it can get frustrating when I need it to start. I can't remember if the idling button was out or in when it finally did start, but that button did help with idling while running.

Is there an adjustment that can go off a bit? There are several adjustment screws on the linkage I won't touch unless I get some knowledgeable advice. I would greatly appreciate help with this Thank You.

Motor off. Unhook the shift linkage at the end. Then move the shift lever to find N then adjust the linkage on the motor.
Then unscrew or screw in the end of the cable till they meet.
Hope you understand??
Try U-tube maybe find a video??

Adjust shift rod so that motor is in neutral ( equal travel ) and neutral start switch is activated.------Only then adjust cable if need be.

Back