Logo

1994 Johnson J10RLERB 9.9 hp to 15 hp with what additional carb parts?

My 94 johnson is a pull handle tiller model that I converted to remote steering. I heard you can further convert a 9.9 hp to a 15 hp with just a few additional carburetor parts, i.e. jets ??
I would like the additional power since I had to give up my Johnson 25hp due to compression issues, and replaced it for the 9.9.

My 25 hp VJ25ELEID had everything already set up for remote steering
So I just swapped out the steering, control cables and put it on the 9 and stopped there. I didn't put the ignition, starter, solenoid, or whatever else i needed to be fully remote,etc, etc.. on the 9.

The problem is the control box is practically useless besides the shifter and warm up lever. I really would like to have a kill switch again, but as it stands now I don't know how to put it on a tiller type motor. I've just been pulling the the choke to kill the motor.

1). More power 9.9 to 15 hp with just a carb jet upgrade?
2) kill switch on a converted tiller, to remote.
Thank you guys so much

My 94 johnson is a pull handle tiller model that I converted to remote steering. I heard you can further convert a 9.9 hp to a 15 hp with just a few additional carburetor parts, i.e. jets ??
I would like the additional power since I had to give up my Johnson 25hp due to compression issues, and replaced it for the 9.9.

My 25 hp VJ25ELEID had everything already set up for remote steering
So I just swapped out the steering, control cables and put it on the 9 and stopped there. I didn't put the ignition, starter, solenoid, or whatever else i needed to be fully remote,etc, etc.. on the 9.

The problem is the control box is practically useless besides the shifter and warm up lever. I really would like to have a kill switch again, but as it stands now I don't know how to put it on a tiller type motor. I've just been pulling the the choke to kill the motor.

1). More power 9.9 to 15 hp with just a carb jet upgrade?
2) kill switch on a converted tiller, to remote.
Thank you guys so much

9.9 to 15 with just a jet change? Ain't going to happen.

You’re not thinking the issue through. More HP is not simply more fuel, you also need more air, otherwise you’re simply running a mixture that is way to rich.
Look up Leroy’s Ramblings. Somewhere in his writings a discussion of what you would like to happen.

In a nutshell, the 15hp has a wider throat in the carb, & it’s not obvious unless you have the carb in hand. He also cautions against buying 15 hp carb on FleaBay, as the seller may be dishonest, or simply not have any idea of the differences.

Last edited:
Back