Logo

Trim wont go down. (No signal to the solenoid. How to troubleshoot?)

Dshow

Hi, I have a 2001 Mercruiser IO with an Alpha drive. We’ve been having Trim issues so I replaced both of the Up and Down solenoids. The Up solenoid now works fine (both Trailer and Trim) but I don’t get the down control signal to the down solenoid (so it never closes). I can manually lower the trim shorting across the down solenoid to run the pump.

Trying to figure out how I can troubleshoot this…. (What could I have done that would effect the Down only?)
Thought about trying to find the engine connector that would have the trim signals from the throttle coming through it and see if I get it there, but not sure where it is located…

So, it’s time to ask the pros…

Thank you!

1. Jump small green wire on solenoid to large red on top of solenoid.
This acts like the switch on contorl lever.
if that works and switch on control still does not the solenoid is good and you need to go backwards
2. Near base on pump assembly there is a small black 3 prong connector.
Pull this apart and look at connections. If ok plug back in and retest.

If that does not solve issue, there will be a second connector somewhere close to shift control box under side panel. The wired from control box are only so long so there typically is a second connector.

Try to find this and see if there is a bad connector.

Thank you. When I replaced the solenoids, there was a rubber boot looking thing that the wires went into that mounted to the pump bracket. Is that a connector? If I pull on it, is it supposed to come off?

Thank you. When I replaced the solenoids, there was a rubber boot looking thing that the wires went into that mounted to the pump bracket. Is that a connector? If I pull on it, is it supposed to come off?

Ayuh,..... There's only 1 three wire plug on yer trim pump, with a red wire(power), a green wire(down), 'n a blue wire(up),....

Those wires go to, 'n return from the switch,....

Ayuh,..... There's only 1 three wire plug on yer trim pump, with a red wire(power), a green wire(down), 'n a blue wire(up),....

Those wires go to, 'n return from the switch,....

Hi Bondo, your name is familiar... I sold my boat several years ago, but used to follow this forum at that time. I remember the ‘Oracle by the sea’ (RIP). I thought there was a ~ 10 pin connector on the engine that that the green and blue trim wires from the throttle came through? Do the green and blue trim wires from the throttle come back to the connector on the pump or do they go through the ~10 pin engine connector first?

Thanks- Dshow
(P.S. It’s my mom’s boat I’m Working on...)

As I said in previous post and to absolutely clarify,

The trim pump wiring is 100% separate from engine wire harness.
The trimp pump has a THREE wire small black connector at pump bracket.
The main engine wire harness Large black connector is for ignirion, sensors and cranking of engine....also senders to dash gages.

Hi Bondo, your name is familiar... I sold my boat several years ago, but used to follow this forum at that time. I remember the ‘Oracle by the sea’ (RIP). I thought there was a ~ 10 pin connector on the engine that that the green and blue trim wires from the throttle came through? Do the green and blue trim wires from the throttle come back to the connector on the pump or do they go through the ~10 pin engine connector first?

Thanks- Dshow
(P.S. It’s my mom’s boat I’m Working on...)

Ayuh,.... I've been postin' here, 'n at iboats for decades, 'n yes, I too, miss Don Sindledecker, very, Very much,.....
Don was a very good friend,.... We spoke on the phone, often,.....
Yer handle also looks familiar,....

Jack explains the wirin' lay out,...... Nothin' to do with the motor's cannon plug,.....

Thank you both! I will disconnect that connector from the pump unit and look for continuity between Red wire pin and Green or Blue wire pins, while pushing the trim up or down switch on the throttle to verify the switches.

Don was very sharp and very helpful…

Back