Logo

Pulling exhaust manifold while boat is still in the water?

JeffK320

I have a 2006 Sea Ray 320 Sundancer with 5.7L bravo III, closed loop cooling. Is there any issues pulling the exhaust manifold while it's at the mooring, so I can replace the starter?

I guess it depends on where the boat's water line is in relation to the location of the engine. If there is any part of the engine below the water line then of course you'll have lots if water gushing in there. If the manifolds are above the waterline, you can remove them safely-ish. I must say it's not very welcoming on Sea Ray's part to have to pull off manifolds to replace a starter. I suppose you have to be on your belly too, right?

I guess it depends on where the boat's water line is in relation to the location of the engine. If there is any part of the engine below the water line then of course you'll have lots if water gushing in there. If the manifolds are above the waterline, you can remove them safely-ish. I must say it's not very welcoming on Sea Ray's part to have to pull off manifolds to replace a starter. I suppose you have to be on your belly too, right?

Good point on the water line. The boat has closed loop cooling and I was talking with another tech (online) who said I would only have a little coolant spill into the bilge, but that because of the closed loop system the sea water does not go through the manifolds. I'm just checking here for a second opinion and if there are aspects I might learn.

I'm not a engine tech but I am pretty handy.

Thank you for your input!

Ayuh,.... In my experience, the water level is within an inch of the top of the y-pipe, so yes you can,....

Keep in mind that:
in most installations you must remove the elbow first because there may not be enough clearance to remove the manifold + elbow as a unit. Plus they are HEAVY so be prepared for that 40+ lbs.
next if doing this I would make up a cover for the top of the Y pipe just in case the static water line is right near the top of it…if someone goes past throwing up a wake you don’t want water surging out of a 3.5 or 4” hole!
lastly in order to reinstall the heavy manifold I have bought 2 longer bolts same thread pitch & cut the heads off. Then cut a slot in the stub for a screwdriver. Thread the two headless bolts in the first & last cyl head holes. Slide the gasket on then slide on the manifold. Install the rest of the bolts then remove the 2 headless ones (use a screwdriver in the slot you cut) & install the last 2 bolts. The 2 headless bolt trick keeps the gasket aligned & makes much easier.

Back