Logo

2GMF (13) diagnostics

Sailtitusville

Had noticed a loss in RPM in the 2GMF installed on my 85 Hunter 31 before a mixing elbow (adjoining pipe) failure caused me to replace that. But I noticed that this rust failure on a pipe between the manifold elbow and the mixing elbow seemed back-pressure induced. I suspected a clogged the wet exhaust hose (possibly original to the boat) and ran a fresh water hose down into that and checked to see if barnacles or something had plugged the vent on the bottom of the hull. I cannot tell if the water I'm running through the hose is getting out, although it doesn't seem to be backing up on me.
After re-attaching the hose to the mixing elbow and cranking (with great difficulty), it ran, but blew the hose off the clamped 45 degree angle pipe leading out of the hull.
What's likely going on here, before I pull that hose all the way out and replace it? Is something jammed up in that hull vent, is the hose collapsed and failing to vent (shaking loose the clamps. Is the RPM issue likely rings or injectors or something else?
It's an infrequently run engine that gets up to op temp a time or three a month.
Roger in Orlando

Back