Logo

Replacing under deck FUEL LINE on 23 ft boat. Honda 225HP 2011

805bigdrake

RE: -23 Boston Whaler
-2011 Honda 225HP with 1,500 hours

I need to replace my fuel line (BELOW deck gas tank) from tank to fuel/water spin on filter. My gas tank is a 77 gallon tank with 55 gallons currently in it. It looks like the total length of the hose will be around six feet.

QUESTION: When I remove the gas line from the below deck gas tank (via an inspection port) will the gas shoot out or will there be no (gravity) pressure? I'm not sure if the 225hp engine sucks the gas into the motor or is it a gravity fed thing. I just don't know how it works.

I've read that I need an A1 hose and it needs to be 3/8". Sound correct?

Thank you for tips and guidance.

Big Drake

THANK YOU!

It sucks the gas out, not gravity fed. Line size would be whatever size is there now and use marine grade rated for ethanol. 3/8 probably correct, I have a 63 gallon fuel tank, it has 3/8 inside diameter.

Well, yes, the engine "pulls" the fuel out of the top of the tank via the pickup tube that reaches to the bottom of the tank. But with that many gallons the weight of the fuel creates what is known as "head pressure" and that CAN act as a force to push the fuel out.

While you wouldn't neccessarily see a "gusher" due to this, it might set up a siphon situation you wouldn't want happening. If it were me, I would empty as much fuel from the tank as possible before working on it.

Also, if you butt the new line up to the old and then tape them together, you can pull in the new line while pulling out the old one. It's a trick that helps when access is tight.

Good luck.

Back