Logo

Just a beware thread for mercruiser inboard newbs

J Juenger

I've owned about 6 boats over a period of 20 years and recently I purchased a 2011 Sea ray 300 sundeck. It has the 8.2 380hp with the bravo 3 x outdrive. My purpose with this post is just a warning to the wise that there is a fitting in the transom made of plastic(I was told they used to be made of brass) for the outdrive oil reservoir. There is a stem that sits outside the transom in the water. Mine made it to the 11 year mark and it broke off spilling water into my outdrive. For all of the expensive pieces that go into the motor and the outdrive, for this failure point and as cheap as it is to be made it is really sad that Mercruiser chose this, it is engineered to fail. I suggest anyone with a boat that is 5 years or older have this addressed when servicing the outdrive ASAP, it has been a pain in the ass. This piece is the one that the rubber hoses for the reservoir attaches to inside with the motor and outside to the outdrive in the water. I'm talking about the stem that makes the 90 elbow turning down that comes through the transom . https://www.mercruiserparts.com/861163-connector

Some years ago while at dockside, I slipped and dropped my foot down into the bilge and broke off the $%## blue plastic drain single point plug dumping most of the antifreeze from my engine into my bilge. I replaced it with a brass fitting. FWIW, I'd replace EVERY plastic fitting in the engine fluids path with brass...or bronze or stainless if it is exposed to sea water.

Back