Logo

Help identifying Evinrude, missing serial, have pictures

I just purchased this little Evinrude 2-stroke, the seller told me he believed it was a 2000 9.9. However, the serial tag is missing and it looks like the motor has been painted.

I've looked through tons of pictures of the 9.9s and every year model that I can find has the kill button located at the base of the twist throttle on the tiller. Note in the pictures mine has this button in the middle of the tiller handle.

I've also included some pictures of the carb. It won't idle so I've got it apart to clean it up and hopefully get it running good.

Help identifying it so I can hopefully locate the manual and source any parts I may need in the future would be greatly appreciated.

Also, note the zip-ties on the fuel lines. This... does not look normal to me? But what do I know, I'm a truck mechanic.

Thanks.

2WH4C3t.jpg

GX2WIAp.jpg

ZLvhQ4G.jpg

vZuNnVl.jpg

TgPhtYu.jpg

hOp6ZfT.jpg

Attachments

• 2WH4C3t.jpg
    2WH4C3t.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 15
Think I answered my own question here, looks like its actually an 8hp. Pictures from the 8hp motors look very similar. Any other ways for me to identify the year?

Racers correct, the prop is different on the 9.9, it has a “rim”, (the 9.9 has through hub exhaust, the 6 & 8 don’t), your motor has the little plastic nut, with cotter pin.
both the 6 & 8 use the same pistons.
Are you in Canada, there was an identical motor,with the little red “E” on the cowling for sale here. I enquired, tirned out it was a ‘91.
In 1991 they went to the starter as shown in your photo, that starter goes til about 2000. I believe they kept the top mounted starter til abut 2004, n
but the cover is slightly different shape towards the ear of the motor after 2000.
DON’T BREAK the fitting where the neutral lockout cable attaches, you cannot buy that starter cover.
In ‘91 the kill switch moved to the middle of the tiller, & the shift lever was moved to the front of the motor.
Also notice the plastic latching mechanism for the top cowl…that came in ‘91, & it’s not robust, costs $$, even that tiny little spring on the fork of the top cowl is $18. Don’t tilt your motor up by grabbing the slot in the top,cowl, you will eventually break it, use the had slot on the bottom cowl.
I have a ‘92, in 6hp, sitting in my garage, which I’m gifting to Racer. It has one low cylinder which he can rebuild, I bought it to have a spare starter for my ‘94.
I’ll look at the carb to see if there is any noticeable difference, (I also have a ‘94 in 8 hp).
Also, look closely at the plastic cover for the carb body. From ‘91-‘93 there is a screw in the front facing out towards the airbox. That was eliminated in late ‘93 onwards. Be careful & don’t over torque the cover screws. You can buy a new cover for ‘91-‘93, but not the ‘94 on.
instead of Google photos, you can look up parts schematics here

Last edited:
Think I answered my own question here, looks like its actually an 8hp. Pictures from the 8hp motors look very similar. Any other ways for me to identify the year?
The 8 & the 6 look identical. I have a ‘94 in 8 hp, & a ‘92 in 6 hp.
i recently sold a ‘91, in 8 hp…they look the same.

Last edited:
Racers correct, the prop is different on the 9.9, it has a “rim”, (the 9.9 has through hub exhaust, the 6 & 8 don’t), your motor has the little plastic nut, with cotter pin.
both the 6 & 8 use the same pistons.
Are you in Canada, there was an identical motor,with the little red “E” on the cowling for sale here. I enquired, tirned out it was a ‘91.
In 1991 they went to the starter as shown in your photo, that starter goes til about 2000. I believe they kept the top mounted starter til abut 2004, n
but the cover is slightly different shape towards the ear of the motor after 2000.
DON’T BREAK the fitting where the neutral lockout cable attaches, you cannot buy that starter cover.
In ‘91 the kill switch moved to the middle of the tiller, & the shift lever was moved to the front of the motor.
Also notice the plastic latching mechanism for the top cowl…that came in ‘91, & it’s not robust, costs $$, even that tiny little spring on the fork of the top cowl is $18. Don’t tilt your motor up by grabbing the slot in the top,cowl, you will eventually break it, use the had slot on the bottom cowl.
I have a ‘92, in 6hp, sitting in my garage, which I’m gifting to Racer. It has one low cylinder which he can rebuild, I bought it to have a spare starter for my ‘94.
I’ll look at the carb to see if there is any noticeable difference, (I also have a ‘94 in 8 hp).
Also, look closely at the plastic cover for the carb body. From ‘91-‘93 there is a screw in the front facing out towards the airbox. That was eliminated in late ‘93 onwards. Be careful & don’t over torque the cover screws. You can buy a new cover for ‘91-‘93, but not the ‘94 on.
instead of Google photos, you can look up parts schematics here

Great information, thank you. I'll take a look for that screw.

IIRC they all have the boss the screw would thread into, however the screw is not there, it’s plugged as of about ‘94.
If you PM me with an addy, I can send you a factory service manual.

Back