Logo

Classic 50 seems too generate too much smoke

TimothyB

I had not started my Classic 50 in 3 years (while I was getting around to finish putting the boat back together).

The engine started right up a couple weeks ago, and seems to run fine and sound right. However, it seems to be putting out more smoke and (maybe) incompletely burnt fuel than it ought to.

I checked that all four plugs are firing
Plugs have very little us (though they are 4 years old) and were clean when removed, and I cleaned them up a bit.

Looking for other suggestions for making the thing run cleaner.

Note, it could be that all that smoke is normal, but I am more sensitive to it in my older age, more concern about the environment, and the 4 of 5 years since I have been around 2 cycle outboards.

Thanks,
Tim

If motor sat with fuel in the carburetors a float / float valve might now be stuck.----Or perhaps fuel pump diaphragm is ruptured.

Thanks again. I called a local boat dealership and was going to bring it to them to tune up (because I just wanted to get it done). The gentleman on the phone said there is nothing to adjust that would effect the amount of smoke generated.

He recommended I get fresh gasoline (mia culpa, the gas I am using is premix in a portable that is about 3 years old) and make sure it is 50:1 and no more.

I will try that first.

Based on racerone's comment that old gas sitting in carb may have caused float or float valve to stick:

I ran the carb dry of gas. Took gasoline intake line off fuel filter and filled the carbs with carb cleaner. Let sit for a couple of hours then ran carb leaner through.

Got fresh gasoline and mixed a tad lean (55:1). The engine is running well and putting out no visible smoke until I throttle it up half way or so.

Back