Logo

454 belt squeaky / weak start up

Blackfin27

Contributing Member
Squeaks on start up, intensity declines after warm-up but still present, intermittently. Also have a lame start up at times. Do not think they are related but...?

All gauge functions operating normal range, hitting RPMS and cruise is spot on. Belt needs adjustment? I have a 2 hour run coming up so somewhat concerned...just ran her on two separate 1 hour trips. The whining/squeaky belt is a very recent development.

TY for any advice.

Load test your battery. How old is it? It can be that alternator is overworked trying to charge a near faulted battery.

If battery is near dead, your run may be interrupted with a blown belt. This will result in a likely engine overheat condition, because circulating pump will no longer work.

assuming you have the v-belts, squeal usually indicates a belt is on the loose side...so an adjustment wouldn't hurt anything.

you can also check the condition of the pulleys...primary concern is the V faces were the belt makes contact...should be smooth and rust free...if they aren't look for the black dust trails on the bilge floor, under the belts...

Thanks, the battery's are brand new. But, the start seemed weak...I'm away from the boat for a week. Will bring a spare battery next trip. Could also be a failing starter.
I recently purchased this boat back from the guy I sold it to and he has no clue on routine maintenance he did or needed....starter....risers...impeller...unknown...he has had it for over 5 years, all of those I would have had replaced by now...so....Im in for some expenses.

Check your ground strap/negative cable for corrosion and tightness. Undo it and clean underneath and put it back on and grease the connection. Same for all the battery posts and the starter terminals. You literally cannot put too much grease on those connections.

Back