Logo

1993 Johnson 115hp shift rod length setting

Cre73

All, I replaced my lower unit with an aftermarket lower unit after I destroyed mine. The new lower shifts fine while removed from boat but will not go into reverse when installed and hooked up. I had to encourage the shift rod into position to reconnect. I am now assuming that the shift rod is not set correctly. I am finding different values when googling for the correct length. It is a 20" lower unit outboard model #J115TLATS. Thank you

I cannot say for certain what position the shift rod was in the original lower unit. It was locked up and would not move. The new lower unit was in neutral and I only measured to verify that they were close to the same length. Measuring from the top of the seal where the shift rod goes through total length was about 19.75"

I will drop lower unit tonight and set properly to 21 27/32". Thanks.

Stop-----Review the correct way to measure shift rod height !!----Or hurry to your local boat shop to save you some aggravation and beer tokens.

Thanks I have now reviewed how to properly set the shift rod length. When I purchased the lower unit I was told it was rebuilt and ready for install. Live and learn.

Back